Friday 25 October 2013

4 surprisingly accurate predictions for the future from 1999

In 2001, when I was but 9 years old, I bought this rather handy volume by Peter Corey:
The book humorously details predictions for the rest of this century, and as soon as I started reading I decided that I would keep this book for the rest of my life and see if anything came true. Everything I read sounded absolutely ludicrous when I read it in 2001. Now I'm toying with the idea that Peter Corey is a time-traveller. Check this out:

1) "We picked Thursday 24 November 2009, and asked Neville the psychic cockle... to do his stuff. Here's what he came up with:
In: Bobble hats, lemon-coloured duffel coats and anything made of seaweed.
Out: Flares." (p78)
How nine-year-old Grace chuckled to herself when she read this! Well, she's laughing on the other side of her face now. Here is an authentic photo from online fashion magazine FreshnessMag dated November 2009:
And here's a photo of Cheryl Cole in November 2009, helping to spark widespread support for the once-dying trend:
And if you recall, flares were most certainly out in 2009. Not sure about the seaweed thing though.

2) "Every now and again the world goes on a huge fitness kick, usually started by the Americans. Nearly two decades of sitting in front of computers, plus the fact that home shopping will have replaced the weekly trip to the supermarket, will mean that most developed countries will be full of extremely unfit people...We'll certainly be made to feel a lot guiltier if we don't make an effort." (pp92-3)
Well, I mean, in the run-up to and aftermath of the Olympics, I certainly went through a phase of occasionally going for a jog. I'm pretty sure a lot of people (myself included) feel guilty for not exercising. 
Hello old friends. This gives me hope that this is all just a phase and I won't have to feel guilty for much longer.

3) "The videophone will be in common use." (p99)
On 21 January 2013, Skype had more 50 million simultaneous online users, i.e. 0.7% of the whole world. I think constitutes common use.

4) "...every sport will now be televised, and therefore attract sponsorship. And when I say "every", I do mean every" (p79)
A couple of years ago, I was flicking through TV channels and I came across what I think was the World Domino Championships. It was like a 3-hour programme. No actual joke. No further proof needed.
I'm pretty sure I watched most of it as well.

I am now more than convinced that Coping with the 21st Century is one of the most important books I own. If you haven't read it, I wholeheartedly recommend it (it costs 1p on Amazon!).

No comments:

Post a Comment