Friday 26 April 2013

Review: Revlon Colorstay Crème Gel Eyeliner

I don't tend to wear all that much make-up, but eyeliner is the one item in my weapon inventory that I can't go without. When I've woken up late and need to get ready in a hurry, I find a quick dash of black on the upper eyelid is the difference between zombie and acceptable-for-human-society. When I'm wearing glasses, it stops my eyes from disappearing behind the thick frames. On a regular day, it just makes it look like I've made more effort than I really have. It's the best.

The problem is, so many eyeliners I buy have a tendency to smudge, fade, or imprint underneath my eyebrow (attractive). I ran out of Bourjois Liner Feutre recently, but I hadn't been very impressed with it (the colour always looked kind of diluted), so I decided to try a gel eyeliner. I went with Revlon on a whim - I like their skin products and 'Colorstay' sounded nice and smudge-proof.
The lid has a little brush built into the top, and you dip it into the little pot of black gel at the bottom. I have to say, I thought it would be so much more difficult to use than a regular liquid eyeliner, but it's actually easier. For one thing, you don't have to wait for it to dry, and so that minimises the potential for disaster. The gel itself glides on really smoothly, but it doesn't feel runny. It's a bit like a pot of kohl, but with a smoother consistency. It's really easy to achieve a nice line.
The only real downside is that it does take a little bit longer to put on than regular eyeliner, just because you are using an actual brush. Also, although it's pretty smudge-proof, it's not entirely fade-proof; by the end of the day, it won't have as much impact as it did in the morning. But hey, I wasn't expecting miracles. 

Aside from these minor quibbles, I have to say I am a convert to gel eyeliner! This is genuinely the best eyeliner I've used, and I have no qualms about wholeheartedly recommending it to you guys. It costs £8.99 from Boots; if you try it, let me know what you think! :)

2 comments:

  1. Speaking as a lapsed Goth I have to say that I might be one of the few men who find this review useful! ;)

    ReplyDelete