Thursday 1 August 2013

"And most of all, I'd like to thank Pinterest..." - the dilemma of wedding inspiration

So, something exciting happened to me while I was on holiday...

ALEX PROPOSED!!!!!!!

It was very romantic, he got down on one knee in the Romanian countryside and whipped out a ring, taking me quite by surprise. I cried for like an hour afterwards, and floated on a cloud made of candy-floss dreams for the rest of our holiday.
When we got home, we had to snap back to reality (there goes gravity) and think about actually planning a wedding. Now, at the moment a lot of this falls to me as Alex has a very full-time job and I am unemployed (unless one of you dear readers would care to employ me), and so naturally I have turned to Pinterest.

I've always had quite a lot of ideas about our wedding with regards to colour schemes and dresses etc., but my secret wedding board on Pinterest is absolute insanity. I probably pin things to it a couple of times an hour or something ridiculous, pinning anything from 'cute ideas for vintage carnival wedding favours' to 'awesome boho country hairstyles for bridesmaids'. I've actually got my bridesmaids involved as well, some of them being keen pinners like myself.
The thing is, in the back of my head I keep feeling like I'm stealing other people's ideas. If I wasn't the sort of person that really enjoys dreaming up creative solutions then I wouldn't see it in the same way; I guess I'd see it more as a helpful scrapbook of cool ideas. But I like to think of myself as a fairly imaginative person, and sometimes I think that my current obsession with Pinterest is making me creatively lazy.

That's not to say that I don't like Pinterest - I absolutely love it. However, I think it's very tempting to use it as a to-do list rather than to inspire my own ideas. When you go on the Weddings section of Pinterest it's plain to see that there are some incredibly talented artistic minds out there, and I often find myself thinking "Oh, that is the perfect way to hang fairy lights in a barn" or "I literally can't    even think of a better way to create a vintage centrepiece". It sometimes makes me feel like I couldn't come up with anything that cool.
But it's a lie. I've realised that for me and Alex, the coolest thing we can do is have our own ideas, inspired by the stuff that we like.

That's what all the people on Pinterest seem to do anyway.

(By the by, this blog isn't going to turn into a wedding blog now, despite appearances - I promise I'll restrain myself!)

Images: Alex's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment